The Pump House Regional Arts Center, a 501(c) 3 in La Crosse, Wisconsin was founded in 1977. The Pump House frequently hosts performing artists in the 140-seat Dayton Theater. Visual artists exhibit in three galleries, and art classes are also held at the Pump House. Before becoming an arts center, the building served as the main water pumping station for the City of La Crosse, in the late 1800s. In 1913, the building was vacated when the city’s need exceeded its pumping capacity. The Pump House was renovated in 1977 with cooperation from the city and the volunteer efforts of many friends of the arts. The original wood ceiling was preserved and woodwork from the old La Crosse Post Office was utilized in the renovations. Since 1977, the city of La Crosse has authorized a long-term lease ensuring that the Pump House remains a regional arts center.
The mission of the Pump House Regional Arts Center is to: Enhance the quality of life in the region by maintaining the Pump House as a cultural center; and by promoting a wide range of visual and performing arts activities including performance, participation and appreciation.